Profile of Sucha S. Ollek
I obtained my law degree from the University of British Columbia in 1979. I articled in
Kamloops and started practice in Nanaimo in 1980. I worked as an associate lawyer in two
different firms until 1984 when I started my own firm that eventually grew to four
lawyers. In 1990, I joined another firm in Nanaimo. In 1993, I was one of the six partners
in that firm of 14 lawyers. In 1997, I again started my own firm.
I am married and have two girls.
I have appeared in all courts from the Provincial Court to the Court of Appeal. Until
1987, I practiced mainly as a trial lawyer representing clients in civil and criminal
matters, but also as a solicitor. Since 1987, my practice has focused primarily on
solicitors work. I continue to represent clients in all courts with respect to
foreclosures, bankruptcy, real estate and commercial matters.
At present, my practice if focused mainly on business law, corporate commercial, financing and mortgages including commercial loans, incporations, partnerships and joint ventures, wills and estate planning.
I am trained as a commercial mediator and qualified to act as a mediator in landlord
and tenant disputes, estate disputes, wrongful dismissal, shareholder or partnership
disputes, land use issues, and construction disputes.
I am a member of the Law Society of British Columbia and the Canadian Bar Association.
I also belong to the Nanaimo County Bar Association.
I have been active in various community affairs. Over the years, I have been active in
the following organizations in particular:
- Amnesty International Member and Director
- Child Development Centre Director
- Financial Task Advisory Panel Member
- Greater Nanaimo Chamber of Commerce Director
- Mayor's Campaign on Famine Relief Member
- Nanaimo Conservatory of Music President and Director
- Old City Quarter Association Member and Director
- Port Theatre Society Founding Member
- Rotary International Member
- United Way of Nanaimo Director and President, Annual Campaign Co-chair
- Urban Development Institute (Nanaimo) Director and Secretary
- Youth Enterprise Centre Management Committee Member
I continue to participate in various community organizations whenever possible. As a
lawyer, I have been given the opportunity to enjoy an excellent lifestyle; I believe it is
my duty, and an honour, to contribute something back to the community.